Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Touched

As always I feel priviliged to have witnessed another cat birth. Nessie woke me up in the morning, telling me the labour has started and soon thereafter we sat by the box, ready for the kittens. It was a chaotic morning with three wild teenagers and their equally wild mother bouncing off the walls and two two-legged children who wanted to sit and help and Nessie got a bit stressed. The other cats got to calm down in another room and the rest of the family went away for a couple of hours to let us have peace and quite - and that was what we got. The labour stopped! I just started to worry again when the rest of the family came home and at the sight of our daughter, Nessie started to push out the first kitten! Unfortunately he came with his tail first and the sack was broken so Nessie had a hard time pushing him out. With a little help from me and 45 minutes of pushing we got him out. I was so happy to see that he was still alive but the joy was short-lived as he had so much water in his lungs, he had neither the strength nor the will to fight. I did my best to get the water and slime out of his lungs but he gave up and fell asleep close to mummy. Number two and three poured out of her easily within 30 minutes and then she took a 45 minutes break and the fourth and fifth kitten was born within ten minutes. Nessie did an excellent job!

So, now Nessie spends her time together with her firstborn litter with four blueish sweethearts! Two boys (blue mackerel tabby with and without white) and two girls (blue tortie mackerel tabby with white) and of course incredibly beautiful ;)


I will try my best to get new (good) pictures of them all tonight and, if nothing unexpected happens, I will update the website thereafter.

As if this was not enough, our host girl Tiggy got in heat so she has spent two busy days together with Jeppson! Now we keep our fingers crossed the visit will be fruitful!