Thursday, January 24, 2008

Helpless

When I came home from work yesterday I found a cold and weak tortie girl lying still... Feeling rather helpless, I am rather tired of kittens who get water-filled lungs at birth! I really try my best to get the water out with the methods available, but it does not seem enough! Well, of course we will not give up. She was given glucose and liquids and a tiny amount of penicillin and of course some milk replacement just to give her energy enough to suckle on her own. Three doses of this and this morning I actually witnessed her suckling from mum on her own with the sound of tiny-kitten-purring and the paws treading to get the milk to flow - joy!

Well, I still believe the fight is far from over... I have no high hopes whatsoever and the website update feels less prioritised at the moment.

The other three are just adorable, warm and happy. Mummy are tired and proud. We have decided upon names, but these will be revealed on the website when we feel up to it.

Please, keep your fingers crossed for tiny!

Update: Well, the little girl stopped fighting today... The veterinary we spoke to explained that it is only bad luck if a kitten get too much water in its lungs during birth and there was nothing we could have done. At least we saw that both kittens that 'drowned' (as the vet explained it) was correctly shaped and showed no defects or signs of illness. Feels just meaningless to loose kittens for no good reason :(